16 March, 2016

MINI REVIEW: The Day Time Ended? More Like The Time This...Movie...Wasted!

I've seen Manos: The Hands Of Fate 4 times. That is 3 times more than I will ever see The Day Time Ended.

I finally got round to watching the b-movie I bought based on it's amazing cover. Based on that alone, I was surprised that I hadn't heard of this film before. The title doesn't really stand out as anything too 'out there' - it just sounds like some rip-off of The Day The Earth Stood Still. There are a million  SyFy movies that do that. But that cover! it contained everything that I could possibly have wanted: giant lizard monsters, guns, some faraway, alien desert... I didn't search anything on it and I purposely kept myself from doing any kind of research about it, so I could watch it with full surprise. And boy, was I!

It was fucking boring!

Usually I like to keep myself invested in the more awful b-movies by riffing on them with friends as I watch, but this...we ran out of steam about 20 minutes in. I genuinely found myself being jolted awake at some point, and I never fall asleep during films. People liken this to Lazerblast, and the trailer for that is on this DVD, alongside other, better-looking b-movies. The difference between this and that however, is that Lazerblast offers a lot more entertainment.
Nothing eventful happens and it leaves the film as the definition of 'filler'. You would be naive to look at this cover and think that that monster makes more than 2 minutes-worth of screentime at all, because these kind of films are all about that sensationalism. While it is only on screen briefly, it is pretty well animated. There are a few other monsters too and they are definitely the highlights of the film - but nothing you can't find online as clips. What feels like 95% of this film is just a family in the middle of nowhere, doing...something. I can't even recall anything that they do. I keep trying to type about a scene with a mirror but I'm totally thinking of an excellent Twilight Zone episode I saw recently.
 I don't recommend this film at all, it was very dissapointing and bland, . Want to watch a ridiculous 70's sci-fi about nobodies in the middle of nowhere? Watch Laserblast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment